Monday 2 July 2012


In charge   of the eight to twelve watch.


     It's nearly twelve, and the Chief is not down,
   For he left the watch to me;
   To drive a ship of eight-thousand tons,
   Over sixty miles of sea.

   I hold the reins of ten-thousand horse
   In yonder expansion gear,
   And in my reach the expansion link,
   The whip of the engineer.

   I feel the pride such power begets,
   Such pride is felt by Gods;
   As massive cranks are swinging by
   Reciprocating rods.

   A king and I -for in my grip
   Ten-thousant horsepower drives;
   I hold the cargo, and the ship,
   And twice one-hundred lives.

   The thoughts that riot within my brain
   Are absolutely thrilling.
   Until I think that my work per hour
   Is valued at one shilling.

           - Fourth Engineer

No comments:

Post a Comment